Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Blue Bayou


I remember the day the beast of the 8 track Magnavox stereo you bought at Walker Scott's on your modest salary as a seamstress was delivered to the second story of the Mission Village Apartments. I was your DJ on the wooden console when company came over and how I loved pulling the tapes in and out. Oh how I hated listening to Mexican music but you would be happy to know that now when I am driving I look for Mexican stations and this makes you feel so much closer.

Listening to Linda Ronstandt today reminds me of your love for time with family and friends. We left a world behind when we left Pico Rivera. We left friends and a house you were so proud of buying with my father but I know your emotional safety was more important than anything material that money could never buy.

I thnk the lyrics to your favorite Linda Ronstandt song spoke to you.

Saving nickels saving dimes
Working til the sun don't shine
Looking forward to happier times
On Blue Bayou

I'm going back someday
Come what may
To Blue Bayou
Where the folks are fine
And the world is mine
On Blue Bayou
I'm going back someday

Mom, I know you are enjoying your Blue Bayou. Tomorrow will be seven years since you left us and how we miss you but until we go, you taught us to love, laugh and live. Because in the end what really matters the most when we are here is how we love ourselves, how we love our family and how we love our friends. Love is all we have to give. And always remember in living never forgetting to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment